Monday, April 8, 2013

A return to the Food Stamp Challenge. For now.

So today I am returning to my Food Stamp Challenge.  Why?

Well, there are several reasons.  The first is obvious--you cannot really understand in 40 days what people got through for months and sometimes years.  And second, (and this may seem odd) I need the discipline and quite frankly, the financial savings. 

I don't know how long I will continue.  But the average length of time a person is on food stamps is 8-10 months.   

But also, I want to see if there are ways I can draw more attention to those in this country who are hungry, and what their real needs are.  I want to bust open some myths about people on food stamps and help bring reality back to the conversation.  I have an idea on how to do this, but I have to check some things out to see if it is workable.  If it is, I will share it with you (and hopefully a lot of other people).

And I want to see if there are resources out there that I have not previously found or talked about.

So we will play it by ear.  This will continue while it continues.

Spent $14.15 on groceries so far this week.  Black bean tacos are on the menu.  Stir-fried spinach is on the menu.  Oddly, Cream of Wheat is on the menu (there will be cinnamon and brown sugar in it).  

One thing I want to check is if any of the local farmers markets take food stamps.  Produce, when in season, can be very cheap there.  But while I love the farmers markets, I have never really paid attention to this . . . so I will be looking into that.


No comments:

Post a Comment